This story is a part of Focal Level iPhone 2022, CNET’s assortment of stories, ideas and recommendation round Apple’s hottest product.
At Apple’s “Far Out” occasion Wednesday, the corporate introduced that the latest model of its iPhone working system — iOS 16 — might be launched to all suitable iPhones on Monday, Sept. 12. Additionally Wednesday, Apple seeded a launch candidate for iOS 16 to its developer beta channel.
This ninth, and probably final, developer beta model provides a couple of new options, corresponding to backups over LTE connections, assist for a number of new Bluetooth and USB recreation controllers, and the addition of multisport exercises with swimming, biking and working to its HealthKit API. The principle objective of the discharge candidate, nonetheless, is to offer a steady construct of the working system that may perform as a ultimate launch if no main bugs are discovered.
If you wish to get the most recent options in your iPhone for testing functions, you possibly can obtain and set up the discharge candidate of the iOS 16 developer beta launch proper now.
However do you have to?
Though it is easy to obtain and set up iOS 16, developer beta variations aren’t supposed for basic use, particularly as a result of they could have unfinished options and points which may make the iPhone tough to make use of. Sure iPhone apps may not work in any respect with iOS 16 but. These early beta releases are supposed for builders, to assist them hold their apps updated whereas additionally offering early entry to the latest options.
Briefly, you in all probability should not set up the developer beta in your major iPhone. In case you actually need to get iOS 16 early, attempt to discover a spare iPhone that’s new sufficient (iPhone 8 or later) to work with iOS 16 as an alternative. For many who nonetheless need to dive in, we’ll present you find out how to set up the iOS 16 developer model, in addition to what to do in case you need to revert to a steady model of iOS 15.
If you want to learn more about iOS 16, check out the iOS 16 reveal during WWDC, how iOS 16 is bringing a big makeover to the iPhone lock screen and Apple Maps’ new look that will debut in iOS 16.
What to know before you download the iOS 16 developer beta
Because the iOS 16 developer beta is an early prerelease version, the software could have bugs and other issues.
Again, if you’re thinking about downloading iOS 16, do it on a backup or secondary phone, if available. The iOS 16 beta preview’s issues could cripple your iPhone and make it difficult to use, disabling phone calls or text messages or making it extremely laggy. However, if you only have your main phone or tablet available, make sure to back up your iPhone on iOS 15 before updating to iOS 16. That way you have the option to return to iOS 15 if there are too many issues on the new OS.
Also, you must have an iPhone 8 or later to run iOS 16. The next mobile software update will not be supported on the iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
In order to download the iOS 16 developer beta, you must be enrolled in the Apple Developer Program, which costs $99 a year. If you don’t want the latest developer’s beta release, you can join the Apple Beta Software program and download the public beta version for free.
How to enroll in the Apple Developer Program
The first step to get the iOS 16 developer beta on your iPhone or iPad is to enroll in the Apple Developer Program if you aren’t already a member. If you’re on your iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can enroll:
1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
2. Launch the app, go to Account and tap Enroll Now.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
4. Read through the various benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to verify your identity.
5. Once this information is submitted, you must choose your entity (individual for most people) and agree to the program license agreement.
6. Finally, pay the Apple Developer membership fee (with Apple Pay), which is $99 (about £80 or AU$140) a year.
After you successfully make the payment, you’ll be redirected to your Account page in the Apple Developer app. Here you can verify that you’re now enrolled, and you can also check out the date of your membership’s expiration next year.
Download iOS 16 beta with an over-the-air update on your iPhone or iPad
The easiest way to download the iOS 16 developer beta is via over-the-air update, the way you would update to any other new software release on your device. Here’s how:
1. On your iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, tap Install Profile for iOS 16 beta (iPhone) or iPadOS 16 beta (iPad) and hit Allow.
2. Next, open the Settings app, tap on Profile Downloaded and hit Install on the top right when it appears. Enter your passcode if prompted and then tap Install two more times. Your phone will need to restart.
3. Once your phone boots back up, connect it to power, make sure you’re on Wi-Fi and go to Settings > General > Software Update. If you don’t instantly see an update available, wait a few minutes and check again.
4. Finally, hit Download and Install > Install and enter your passcode to update your device.
After your phone finishes rebooting, you should have access to the latest iOS 16 developer beta.
Download the iOS 16 developer beta using your Mac
Over-the-air updates require a certain amount of storage, and if you don’t have that available, using your computer is really the only way to update to iOS 16 without manually clearing out space.
1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, find iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta and click Download Restore Images.
2. Download the iOS beta software restore image for your specific device.
3. Next, connect your device to your computer and enter your device passcode or hit Trust This Computer if prompted.
4. Open Finder and click your device in the sidebar under Locations.
5. In General, next to Software, you’ll see the latest software your device is running.
6. Hold down the Option key, click Check for Update and choose the iOS 16 beta software restore image you just downloaded from the Apple Developer page.
The iOS 16 beta software will install on your device. Wait for a few minutes and when your phone reboots, you should have access to iOS 16.
Here’s why you probably shouldn’t download the iOS 16 developer beta
As mentioned before, there really is no reason to download the iOS 16 developer beta at this point, especially because the iOS 16 general public beta is now available. The developer beta version costs money and is intended for developers testing their own apps, while the public beta is free and is intended for anyone who is interested in running prereleased software.
If you really want to run iOS 16, here’s how you can download it right now as a public beta.